At Medicina Urbana we focus on removing barriers to wellbeing and enabling people’s innate ability to heal themselves.
Medicina Urbana is seeking a Bilingual Medical Assistant/Receptionist (Spanish + English) to work closely with Dr. Beard and his team in front desk, back office, and social media support. This position allows for an opportunity to be an advocate for patients and help the Southwest Detroit community. Given that our front desk person is typically the first and last human seen at our office and has lots of contact with those we serve, the person selected for this position needs to be a positive force at the office for patients, especially those facing difficult medical situations.
Responsibilities at Medicina Urbana will include:
- checking in/out patients
- scheduling appointments and verifying insurance eligibility
- processing referrals
- taking messages/notifying medical staff of patient issues in a timely fashion
- requesting and accepting payments (e.g., copays and deductibles)
- helping patients navigate our extremely complicated medical system
- checking vital signs, drawing blood, and other Medical Assistant tasks
- online content generation and semiweekly posting
- promotion of the clinic in our community
Note Regarding Training:
The EMR system will be taught in-house and outside of normal work hours through training videos/live tutorials. Basic Life Support (BLS) training opportunity will be provided but paid for by the employee.
The position offers health insurance (after 3 months of consecutive employment), 7 paid holidays (including Martin Luther King, Jr. Day).
Hours: 9 AM – 6 PM Monday and Tuesday; 9 AM – 5 PM on Wednesday; 2 Saturdays/month 10 AM to 3 PM (selected with staff preference the preceding month); flexible Thursday administrative day = 24.5 hours +/- 5 hours (for Saturday) +/- additional hours on Thursday.
Pay: $13.88 to $18.42/hour*
*Based on MIT’s Living Wage Calculator and level of experience.
To apply: Please send an email telling us why you’re interested in the job along with your resume to Dr. Mark Beard (contact@MedicinaUrbanaDetroit.com).